From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:19:03 -0500
I appreciate Cassandra's response to my question about why A/D would be
prescribed for ferrets rather than Z/D. She stated " The main thing, I
think, why a vet would prescribe A/D is because of the ferret's high
metabolism and the fact that they are obligate carnivores. Z/D is
created with a "hydrolized" protein source and boasts it has no animal
protein whatsoever."

The ingredients of Z/D lists hydrolyzed chicken liver as the first
ingredient. To hydrolyze protein means to break it down to smaller
chains of amino acids. They do this to the protein to decrease it's
molecular weight, making it less likely to be detected and reacted
to by the body's immune system. So, I would still like to hear other
reasons why Z/D isn't prescribed more often for ferrets with GI/
malabsorbtion issues.

Cassandra, it would be great if you could "pick the brain" of the
Hill's rep.

Lesley