Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:12:44 -0400
>From: Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Shirley wrote:
>>Sukie, In Australia and the UK, at least, Bachelor of Veterinary
>>Science (BVSc) is exactly the same as DVM and those people who hold
>>it are certainly referred to as "Doctor". They do the same 5 or 6
>>years at uni but the course simply has a different name.
>
>Shirley, a bachelors degree is NOT AT ALL the same as a doctorate, it
>is the first step of moving toward trying to qualify to do later work
>to get a doctorate.

Sukie, in Australia (and New Zealand, as it happens), a person with
BVSc behind their name IS a veterinarian. It's just a different set of
letters behind their name. In my job, I've seen plenty of veterinary
export certificates from both Oz and NZ, and both are signed by the
official government veterinarian (Australian Quarantine and Inspection
Service for Oz, and Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry for NZ), and
both use the letters BVSc behind their names to indicate their
position.

Karen

-- Ken and Karen Galle
Birchtree Farm
Icelandic Sheep
http://birchtreefarm.com/weblog[1]
"To hang between two thieves in the darkness
Love must believe you are worth it" - Nichole Nordeman

Links:
------
[1] http://birchtreefarm.com/weblog