From:
Jane Odell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:42:46 +0100
Hi all,
Things seem to be going from bad to worse just lately, here`s another one
i hope someone can help me with.

Last week i found Dylan had a wound on his back thigh region, it looked
very much like a graze.  I didn`t give it much of a thought, he seemed to
be fine.

Today, when i took another look at him the wound looked horrible - it had
spread and looked raw in the middle.  I took him to the vets, she said it
resembled *wet eczema.* She ruled out a number of things, parasites,
ringworm, mange and felt certain the wound had been self inflicted due to
irritation.  She then went onto tell me they had a ferret on their books,
displaying similar symptoms and had been diagnosed with Cushings disease.
I know this an adrenal condition, failure to produce enough cortisone,
but unfortunately that`s about as much as i know.  My vet is doing some
research and is ringing me tomorrow with how to proceed.  I was hoping in
the mean time someone on the list (especially vets) would have more
information on this condition, especially a procedure to confirm or ruleout
this for certain and a possible treatment if this IS the case.

My vet informed me, in the UK these sorts of conditions are rarely treated
in cats and dogs let alone ferrets, so any additional information i can
find will be extremely helpful.

Thanks sooooo much AGAIN everyone, we`re not having a great deal of luck
this end :o(

Best wishes,
Jane, Harvey, Katy, Casper, Phoebe, Emil, Dylan, Annie, Clara & the 11
squeakers

       ^. .^
         *

ICQ # 40441875