From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 09:12:58 -0500
Hi all from Mass., state of the hidden (multitude of) ferrets.  I have
had two females for 4 years, a male for 3 years, and as of last week a 9
week old male.  When I got my first male, the other two females, then
just a year old each, treated him like their own, i.e. carrying him
around, clucking when he cried, and always checking up on him.  Although
my male Darwin is completely passive/non-aggressive, I was only concerned
about his reaction to the new male.  Well things couldn't have been less
predictable.  Darwin submitted almost immediately to the kits playful
bites and tackles, but has not completely acclimated himself yet (he runs
away when things get a little uncomfortable).  My small female Jumper,
who was Darwin's regular playmate when he was little, got real aggitated
and bit the kit, hissing and gurgling.  She eventually dragged him under
the T.V., which made me feel a little better since that was the behavior
I more or less expected.  Now as for the "Ultimate" serogate mother,
Ruck, who took care of Darwin through most of his infancy, I got the
least desirable response.  She grabbed him by his neck, twisted and shook
him then bit him again.  Whenever she is out in the apartment, she
actively searches for him (he is in a playpen at the moment).  When she
finally scales the walls, she sniffs him out then visciously bites his
neck and shakes him.  He now fears her, runs from her, but she still
won't let up.  I want to allow him into the rest of my clan, but I fear
for his little soul.

        My question is this:  Is there a real danger here?  I know about
pecking order battles, but should I be letting them occur between a 9 week
old and a full grown adult?  Is there anything I can do to ease the
transition?

        I fear that if I wait too long, they may never make friends, then
my little male will grow up and really do some damage to the female. He
appears to be one of those 5 lb. male monsters (Darwin's only 3 lb.).

        Please let me know what you all think.  Thanks for any help you
can offer.  Andy, Darwin, Ruck, Jumper, and the new kit.