From:
Beth Randall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:20:17 -0700
We operate Critter Camp, a registered not-for-profit charitable Exotic
Pet Rescue and Sanctuary in northern IL.  We do educational entertaining
shows for birthdays parties retirement centers, scouts etc. for a
'minimum donation' which helps us with some of the huge costs in caring
for 150 abandoned and abused animals.

One of the things we do with ours is to have everyone smell them up close
too - because so often out in the pet stores they are freshly bathed and
the salespeople tell customers that if they just bathe them daily they
won't smell which we all know is not only not true but is damagine to the
ferrets themselves and makes them smell more.  Out of every group of
maybe 20 people the majority say ew, but there is usually one or two that
say they like the smell or it isn't bad.  We love our dozen ferts here &
their beautiful musk doesn't bother us at all, but far too many ferrets
come in to shelters because a roomate, parent or new owner just hates
their smell.It breaks out hearts to see these perfectly wonderful pets
treated like they are disposable!

We have a USDA license to exhibit exotics which is required nationally in
order to take critters out in public settings.  They likely won't have
problem with some shelters doing free displays with their ferrets - I
just want to let people know in case anyone says anything about it to
them that there are national regulations regarding taking ferrets out
in public.

Beth
www.crittercamp.biz