From:
Kylie Preisig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:17:00 +1100
A big black hole I have noticed in the otherwise excellent information
available on the internet about ferrets is anything to do with breeding
ferrets.  The faq basically says "don't do it".  The only practical
information I could find was the gestation period which was on a page on
various laboratory animals!

I realise from posts to this list that breeding is a tricky business which
could threaten the life of the jill involved.  I also know most people feel
it should be left to the breeders.  But every breeder has to start at some
point, and I think it would be better to have information out there to allow
it to be done correctly and responsibly.  The information should present the
facts on breeding (emphasising what can go wrong and that it is not and easy
thing to do) and allow ferret owners to make an informed decision.

Information that could be inclued:

- care of whole males
  eg I know that whole males can't live together but what about putting them
  with a neutered male or female?
- care of whole females
  eg how to tell if they are on heat, jab vs vasectomised male
- care of pregnant females
  eg nutrition, housing, gestation period
- false pregnancies
- birth
  eg common birth complications and what to do about them.
- care of newborn kits
- and probably lots more that I haven't even thought about....

I want to breed our ferrets, and I want to do it right.  Having this
information on the internet somewhere would make it much easier for me.

Are there any people who breed or have bred out there that are prepared to
put together a useful faq on breeding?  It could be kept as a separate web
page, or perhaps added to the existing faq.

Kylie
Mum to Ratty, Truffle, Fudge and Pepper