Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:36:57 +0100
Connie wrote:

>How can I tell who's the dominant one?I put my 2 ferrets together and the
>younger one pins down the older 1 and pulls her ears,licks her bites her
>neck.

Ask yourself these questions: Who's on top most of the time, and who does
most of the screaming?  By the sounds of things your younger ferret may
just be trying to assert itself into the ranks of ferretdom.  My youngsters
are feisty but by no means kings of the roost.  The older ferrets will
occasionally "attack" the younger ones but it is merely a signal to let
them know who is still boss.  The younger ones seem to respect this for the
most part but do occasionally still want to challenge the leader.  The
younger ones are still allowed to chew on the older ones ears and bite them
in the neck and this I look upon as part of the bonding process.  It's just
the way in which youngsters develop certain skills as they mature.  Even
animals in the wild are allowed to challenge their parents, other adults
and other siblings but it is all a part of the natural training that allows
these animals to make their way through the ranks in order to survive as
adults down the road.

On the other hand, it could just be that your youngster is a very feisty
individual.  You haven't mentioned the sex of your ferrets.  Bear, our
oldest female, went after the youngsters (both female) when they first came
into the group.  Now she allows them to chase her, nibble her ears and bite
her neck.  She has on occasion still let them know that she is above them
in the ranks.  The older males, which swap the crown of dominance,
depending on how well Chook feels, are good at keeping the girls in line.
But the boys still allow the girls to sleep with them but will also boot
them "out of the bed" if they don't want them in with them anymore.

As for the litter digging... ferrets love to dig and need to dig.  If the
only thing they have access to dig in is a litter box then expect the
litter to fly.  Supply your ferrets with a box filled with something that
they can get their claws into - rice, sand, plant dirt.  If you can't find
a box, lay down a sheet of heavy plastic or a ripped open plastic garbage
bag and dump their digging material on that.  You may want to move the
sheet or box into the kitchen or tiled area so that if there is any
spillage it will be easy to clean up.  By supplying your ferrets with
something to dig in, it will alleviate the need to dig in the litter box.
I speak from experience.  I use to use a plastic sheet with plant dirt on
top.  Now we have a sand box.  They just love it.  My ferrets also love
styrofoam, so anytime I get some I let them have it.  They love digging
at it.  In my house, it "snows" all year round.  The little bit of
inconvenience it takes to clean up after any of their digging expeditions
is worth seeing their happy little faces and hearing all the interesting
noises they emit.  I get a great kick out of seeing them get all fluffy
with excitement.  It reminds of the old Warner Brother cartoons in which a
cat gets caught in the dryer and comes floating out once the door is
opened.  Quick somebody!  Get me a string!  ;-)

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur