From:
Joanne Bertin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 09:01:22 -0400
>>The strangest thing your ferret has stolen...

My SO and I are in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), a group
dedicated to re-creating the Middle Ages as "they should have been."  Sam
(the SO) is a heavy weapons fighter and frequently our living room floor
serves as his armory.

Our very first ferret, Tam Lin Smurfbane (of much honored and loved memory)
had a thing for Sam's armor.  Now Tam at his top fighting weight was barely
2 and a half pounds dripping wet; Sam's armor--16 gauge steel plates riveted
to doubled denim--has to weigh between 25-35 pounds *at the least*.
Whenever the armor was on the floor and Tam in the living room, the fun
began.  We laughed the first time he locked his jaws on the armor, but
quickly realized we were in trouble.  He had to do it in spurts, but that
little bugger actually hauled the armor off, dragging it backwards.  We
caught him before he could get to his room with it.

We never figured out what Tam planned to do with the armor any more than we
could figure out what he planned to do with the 16oz. ball peen hammer he
would constantly steal or the air pistol he made off with once.  It's not
like we were constantly overrun with Smurfs.  There were only three Smurf
invasions and Tam killed them all with his bare teeth.  (He never went after
any other stuffed toy with that demonic gleam in his little red eyes--just
Smurfs.  We slept more soundly at night knowing we were safe.)