From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:46:02 -0400
Hello All,

I wanted to share my appreciation for all shelter mommies and daddies all
over the world.  Everyday especially weekends you get the phone calls and
drop offs of animals.  People always have their reasons.  Everytime they
drop by to give you the tales of their reasons you put on a smile whether
you like it or not.  You graciously take in the new one of the lot.  Some
come in happy, sad, sick, abused, or almost lifeless.  But, you dig into
your hearts each time to take care of them.  It brings tears to my eyes
everytime I think of conditions that occur when these especially ferrets
are given the deals they are dealt with.

I dropped 2 ferrets off to the vet this morning.  They are from the
Ferret Business of Georgia needing their teeth cleaned in hopes to better
their health and conditions.  When I went in the door, there was a
gentleman there with his child's hamster.  The hamster was bleeding from
somewhere.  There was blood in his cage they brought him in.  I noticed
they tried to make the hamster as comfortable as they could.  They, the
family, had stredded soft toilet paper for the whole cage to make it soft
for the hamster.  I thought, boy, they really care.  The gentleman had
been taking out the bloody tissue and putting it in a tupperware bowl to
discard.  As I walked out, because I left something in the car.  His head
was down.  I could only pray the hamster would be okay.

What saddened me as I left is that some child may possibly come home
without a hamster there waiting for him/her.  And the love they shared.

It hit me.  They paid around $3.99 for the hamster.  Approx. $50 for the
Sams cage.  And there is the additional money for food and extras.  Vet
bill approx. $25 for visit and there may be an additional cost.  But,
the love that man expressed.  PRICELESS.......

We'll I am going to end with saying I really appreciate and admire the
work that shelter mommies and daddies do everyday 24-7.  Thank you very
much.  If I don't close now the students in the computer lab in school
will think I am a big softy for the red eye syndrome.

Benita