Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:09:48 -0500
Many of you will remember that last year I had about 20 ferrets from
the MSPCA to place after the DMK rescue in Ohio. One pair, Isadora and
Duncan were a champagne jill (motherly sort) and albino hob who slept
a lot. I soon discovered he was deaf and that he was willing to play
if someone woke him up. Isadora was quite protective of him.

After several homes fell through, Diana D. agreed to add them to her
business. Well, one day I "kidnapped" them. It started as a joke, but
she allowed me to keep them in my room and I soon discovered that this
big ol' boy had a partial cauliflower ear and an infection in it, which
is why he was so eager to rip your face off if you touched him.

After stopping the pain and experiencing a rollover, this boy became a
lovey-dovey thang, giving me face washes and wet willies. When I got
back to MA with them after I got another car, Diana said, "I'm not
getting him back, am I?" Uh, I quickly said, "I don't think so." I felt
bad, but not bad enough to refuse the offer! So, Issy and Duncan became
officially mine in June (THANK YOU, DIANA!).

Presently I am at my mother's in Louisiana - supposed to be writing my
dissertation. Instead I am working hurricane duty for the Red Cross and
Noah's Wish. Being here, the ferrets are caged, each in half of a FN
cage and they get their exercise twice daily in the back yard and the
garage. I was able to make a fence with the playpens and block off
about a 20 foot square area and put out a pool and give them access to
the gardens and grass. They love it! And, we can go out after dark or
in the day light, too.

Because of Duncan's personality change, Issy no longer feels the need
to protect him. So, she has become much more independent. In fact, a
couple of weeks ago there was a cicada sitting on one of the mats. I
didn't think anything about it, but Issy did! She grabbed it and ripped
it in two and I think she ate the abdomen half! Then I caught her
chasing a roach across the garage floor! Several days ago I caught her
with a baby turtle and saved him from her teeth, moving it to get it
out of the ferret play area. Today I caught her chasing a wasp. Issy
STALKS stuff in the yard - not sure what it is, but it sure is funny
to watch!

Isadora is no longer the timid little thing who sits and quakes! She is
the mighty HUNTRESS, the PRINCESS with self-confidence! What a change a
year can make!

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we