Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 13:13:03 -0500
Jim and Nikki,

Please treat this as "what to do until the doctor comes."  They are on here
quite frequently so may answer in the same post as this reply.

You heard right.  Ferrets don't often throw-up, but they do occasionally.
 Questions you might think about:
1.  Have you changed their diet recently?  Dietary changes will often result
in a temporarily sick ferret.

2.  Anyone in your family or friends who visited in the last week or so, sick
with the intestional flu?  Ferrets seem to catch it too.

3.  Is the ferret eliminating normally now?  Blockages will cause vomiting
but will cause the stool to be non-existant or thin (looks like a string).
 If she hasn't had normal bowel movements since yesterday, you may want to
get her to a vet.  Prolonged diarreha (sp?) will cause dehydration.  A
quarter teaspoon of Pepto Bismal given twice a day should give a normal bowel
movement within a day.  Give plenty of water or Pedilite - force if you have
to with an eyedropper.  If it continues,  to the vets right away.

4.  Is she normal now?  Probably just a case of 24 hour flu.  Keep an eye on
her to make sure she continues to eat, drink and eliminate normally.

On the ferretone and vitimin A.  Some disagreement there as to whether or not
you can overdose a ferret on vitamin A.  Our vet recommends that we don't
take a chance.  We dilute it 2 to 1 (two parts olive oil to one part
ferretone) or even 3 to 1 and limit it to one "pump" a day.  We think it's
too valuable a training aid to put it on their food.  We always give it to
them on our hand after they've done well at something: a couple of drops for
using the litterbox;  a few drops after we hold them awhile and they stop
squirming; coming to their name; etc.

Dick B. -  Not a Vet