From:
"Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 10:29:11 -0400
Jennifer wrote:
>Is there anything else I can be doing for her?  Pete doesn't seem to be
>nearly as affected as Cindy.  He stopped looking during the week and is
>back to playing.  Cindy will play but she is constantly looking for CJ.
>Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Our Knuks went through the same thing when Ralph died.  She looked for
him for quite some time.  Eventually she came through it -- in her own
time.  Of course, it was heartbreaking to watch her looking for Ralph.
When she would do this, we would pick her up and comfort her (it was a
bit easier than in your case, because Knuks loved to be held).  We also
spoke to her (though she was deaf), telling her that we were sad that
Ralph was gone, too.  I believe that ferrets can pick up on the tone of
your voice, even if they don't understand the words.  In Knuks's case,
she was a very perceptive ferret and she picked up on what we said to
her through our demeanor and facial expression (I believe this, but
can't prove a thing).  She was a very visual-oriented ferret.

I think with ferrets, as with humans, each has his/her own schedule with
regard to grief.  Giving Cindy extra attention and making sure she's
eating properly are the best things you can do for her right now.  You
can also try to engage her in play.  I think the fact that she fell
asleep in your lap shows that she understands that you are there for her
and that she is taking comfort from your attention.

--Mary & the Fuzzies

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor, Modern Ferret Magazine
Trixie, Koosh, & Gabby, The Modern Ferrets
Read my blog! http://www.modernferretblog.com/mary
See my cool stuff! http://www.topicaltees.com