From:
Mary Verkler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 16:47:58 -0400
>Part of the problem is that - and it's hard to admit this - I'm a bit
>frightened of her.  Not seriously frightened.  I don't consider her a danger
>to me or to anyone.  I just can't relax with her when I keep worrying about
>her biting me.  I'm angry at myself for this too.
>Jenna Thiessen <[log in to unmask]>

I understand this...I had a little terror of my own...Pumpkin.  She would go
out of her way to bite and latch on (not just a bite and let go...hanging on
for the kill)...even crawling up between the cushion of a chair to bite my
back when I didn't know she was in the room.  Her sneak attacks felt
"intended for me" and I also felt angry about not "loving" her like my other
kids.  She wasn't picky, she even bit my mate and a few very close friends.
After many talks with ferret owners, consulting books...and more, I met up
with a guy who told me something like this.

-She doesn't need swatted, or thumped...she needs to know that it hurts
(shout "NO") and then she needs to be held and cuddled and loved.  <----the
last thing I wanted to do after an ambush!!  Since mine was in a family of
three ferrets, he also recommended "alone" time for just Pumpkin and her
humans.  This took time and me facing some of my fears of being "eaten"
(grin) but I persisted.  Today she is so sweet to me when I visit her...the
ferrets got the house and the ex in my divorce.  She is a much better
behaved ferret.  (age has also calmed her) She occasionally nips if scared
or startled by loud noise, but no longer latches.  Also, more cage time (not
getting it out to play) does increase the "stress" of the ferret.  Can you
ferret proof one room?  Mine plays around my computer cables and ignore
them... ??

Her latches did break the skin on many occasions and we did face that
fear...but by not pulling away and calmly prying her mouth open then petting
her she stopped.  This is not advice...just what worked for us.  I do not
recommend anyone just let the ferret bite them, you must do whatever you
feel is right.  I'm sure someone will disagree with this and that's OK too.

Hugs to Kodo and his family.  Just a question...if hundreds of ferrets have
been killed and tested pre-Kodo....what is the number that were found rabid?
Could this be used somehow to prove that in the past most testing was
unnecessary?  (depending on the numbers of course and Yes, I know it has to
be on a case by case basis.)

I've read the FML on and off for a couple of years.  This is my first post.
Hi : )

Mary & Willy("No Mom, I REALLY don't like Ferretvite!")

P.S.
Rosie's address on the web:   http://www.rosieo.com
Click "Dear Rosie" to get to:   http://www.rosieo.com/cmp/mail.htm
BY THE WAY...she's scared of hamsters...good luck!    : )
No luck today on Oprah...if you're on AOL...keyword: Oprah    "Email Oprah"
button