From:
KattPatt of Sammy's Clubhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:01:03 -0800
Please bare with me as I am just learning about this ferret and don't
have all the background yet but here is my situation. I was called
by a gal who had a ferret dropped off with her, a family friend, who
recently moved to our area but could not keep her ferret. The new owner
knows that this friend got the ferret from a rescue in TX. She has had
the ferret for almost a year and believes her friend only had it a
short time before moving. The only reason it was dumped on her is
because she used to have ferrets - which just means - she owned two 10
years ago but only for 6 months before she figured out she was not for
ferret ownership.

The first question I received from her was "I don't know if it is
fixed but if it is, can they still go through heat cycles?" I calmly
explained that no but why would she ask. Her male dog goes nuts around
it and one of the other female dogs freaks out around it. I don't know
if other people experience this but when I go to events where police
dogs are, I often scare them badly with the ferret smell. I attribute
this to the fact they are related to the wolverine, a natural predator
they should fear. I have no idea if this is right but as many
purebred/imported german shepard/malinois I have gone into a fearful
crouch when we are around I am just running with this explanation.
Putting the fear in the strongest dogs around - don't let the criminals
know. Well except a DEA dog wouldn't stop sniffing my leg on a bus, not
alerting the handler, but very distracted by my ferret scent. Handler
was not happy with her dog.

Onto the ferret - she is a DEWP that had darker markings on her back
and are now fading. The ferret will "scream" for no reason in a room
when left alone. No I don't know the exact noise she is talking about
but the ferret is in a room by itself running around, "screams" and
they come running to only find there is nothing wrong. I suggested the
ferret might be deaf. The friend used to let the ferret run around the
house in a ball (yes a ball) but this owner has large dogs who are
"ball dogs". I told her it was cruel to use a ball and she understands.
Plus she wouldn't use it anyway. No I don't know the size of the cage
yet. I do know they only let her out for a couple hours a day. I told
her that will cause aggression (I have several females who turned into
severe biters) and frustration. So far the ferret is tearing up the
carpet to get out of the room they do let her run in.

At this point I am encouraging her to bring the ferret to me just for
a visit and chat about care. Not sure I am promoting a companion if
they can't let them run around. But I am curious if there is a way to
try and find out where she came from/rescue in TX.

Thanks
Kathy of Sammy's Clubhouse Spokane Ferret Rescue and Education
Main website:   https://sites.google.com/site/sammysclubhouse
Like us on Facebook!  Adopt your next pet from Petfinder.