Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:52:06 EDT
>Speaking of endocrinology and hormones (also the topic in the darkness
>and melatonin thing) our vet said that one veterinary research speaker
>at the recent exotics conference (Sorry but I forget her name.) has some
>new research indicating that Lupron shots at low levels given about the
>normal yearly time of ferrets going into heat may decrease adrenal
>neoplasia, so Joe (our vet, Joe Martins of Bellemead AH in central NJ)
>wants us to try that next Spring for our crew.

Hi Sukie,

Yes, Dr. Cathy Johnson-Delaney and the Washington Ferret Rescue Shelter
has been working together for the past two years on the Lupron Adrenal
study.  Many exciting things have come out of this and I don't feel I am
qualified to talk for Dr. Delaney but I am sure the Ferret Community and
everyone else will soon know about it.  I do have those ferrets at my
house that were taken out heat by using Lupron and later went to have
babies.  Bianca and Coco are some of the kits that were born from a jill
and hob that had been given Lupron.  I have jills and hobs that are at my
house that are in this adrenal study.  I also have ferrets that have been
given the Lupron shots over a year ago and no longer show any of the
classic symptoms of Adrenal.  problems.

It has been a pleasure being involved with one of the most knowledgeable
vets I have ever met!  If you talk to the ferrets that have been involved
in the blood draws thou, I would say they are sure gettiing sick of it!
" Do we have to go thorough this again mom!

Charleen and the Wa. tails