From:
Sarah DeVellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2012 01:40:17 -0500
Hey everybody,

My husband and I are ferret owners..no one else we know is. I have a
very serious evacuation plan with our 4 ferrets in case we ever need
to leave in a rush. It paid off during Irene when the swamp next to
our house started to flood and we left until it receded.

Sandy wreaked havoc on us this year. We had 15 trees uprooted by 100mph
gusts of wind...1 ripping out the power lines and another landing smack
on the house damaging the roof. Scary stuff! We were very lucky that
was it though. We were not in an evacuation zone...but we were
prepared. I'm genuinely shocked to hear that some people I know do not
have emergency plans for themselves..much less their pets! This applies
not to just natural disasters but to fires, CO2, prolonged power outage
and of course alien invasion ;)

When panic sets in...you can't think straight enough to be able to run
around for things you need...and may not have the time.

I have a large bag packed with a weeks worth of food, water, bowls, a
towel, treats, nail clippers, ferret safe cleaning solution and paper
towels. Right next to the ferrets cage I have their carrier set up with
comfortable blankets and some 'friends'. I also have a list of all the
pet-friendly hotels in multiple states around our area just in case we
can't stay with family. (google search). Into the trunk of the car goes
their playpen in case we can't return for their cage.

If we need to get out, one of us grabs the bag (along with our own)
while the other grabs the ferts.

We're a young couple with no children yet and take matters very
seriously when it comes to protecting our ferrets because they can't
do it themselves and we would never leave them. It's not easy but
it's worth it.

I'm talking about this because if you haven't thought about it
before...you should. Crazy weather happens even where it's not
typical...like a superstorm.. in October.. in the northeast!!

Food for thought!

<3
Sarah
Lelu, Stoli, Oscar and Tessa