From:
Lynn Foster or Chris Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:25:41 -0400
Dear FML:

This is a tad off-topic but I need info from those who have had to hand
rear babies (ferrets) without MOM.

My son found baby squirrels - The mom had been killed on the road earlier
in the day and the babies proceded to rain down from the nest (about 60
feet up in a huge maple tree) later in the afternoon.  I can only assume
they got hungry and were trying to find her.  Anyway, never fear, except
for one who was badly hurt in the tumble from the nest and passed away last
night, the others are ok but I need some advice or a web page on what would
be the best recipe for them.

Baby ferrets grow up to be meat eaters and squirrels do not.  Does that
mean they start with the same milk formula if hand rearing is required?
These babies are fully furred and about 4inches long not including huge
long tails but eyes still closed.  Took the lot of them to the vet and they
gave us kitten formula and of course kittens are meat eaters.  We expect to
get them to a wildlife refuge this weekend in Rousseau (Muskoka) but no way
we can drive that distance during the week and the only other two wildlife
refuges in Toronto area are full and indicated they could not take them.

I was stupid - when I called for help I should have just shamelessly
indicated that I would make a substantial donation.  I thought of that last
night at two in the morning when I was up feeding them (and again at four
this morning).  It was sort of like a Homer Simpson DUHHH revelation.

Help - experience or a web address would be greatly appreciated.

I got to keep them healthy so I can get them to Muskoka.  Am keeping them
away from the ferrets and washing hands with disinfectant when going into
or leaving squirrel room.

Lynn