From:
Avatar Comics <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:26:42 -0600
I am in desperate need some information about ADV testing.  I didn't
get any response the first time so I will try to word the question
differently.

I have been reading up on ADV testing and I understand that the ADV
QuickChek test is an antibody test.  The way I have always understood
these things (not being a biology major) the presence of antibodies only
means that the ferret has been EXPOSED to the virus - it doesn't indicate
the presence of the virus itself.  This is how vaccinations work;
exposing the animal (or person) to a small amount of the virus stimulates
to body to produce antibodies.

My question is: If my ferret has a positive QuickChek test, is there
another test I can do that determines the presence of the VIRUS itself???

I have been reading over all the information on ADV I can find and I have
not found an answer to this question.  I would greatly appreciate any
help you more experienced ferret owners (and vets) can give me!

Thanks,
Serena & her 20 paws