From:
"Stines, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:55:27 -0500
Thank you all so much for your help and support.  The past two days have
been hard.  Jako has completely stopped eating and drinking, but he's as
strong as a wiggly ox, so I can not even "strongly suggest" he eat.  I
did get him to the vet today and this is what we have thus far:

-flea problem - he's so itchy that this might be causing the hair loss or
 possible flea allergy
-good blood sugar so not insulinoma
-very wiggly and hard to do blood work will have to anesthetize to get
 blood, she said for a sick ferret, he had a lot of strength to squirm
 away from people who were handling him
-gave him sub-Q fluids which required two people holding him down and one
 injecting
-obstruction unlikely, maybe partial, but doesn't have symptoms of sore
 tummy and is not gassy like an animal with a blockage would be
-did notice grinding and chewing noises, a lot of saliva
-was able to hand feed
-overly sensitive to touching him

ultrasound would be $200, x-ray $100, blood work $100  Doesn't think
ultrasound or x-ray is necessary right now.

He still makes that odd noise, sort of like twisting a rusty screw, while
opening and closing his mouth.  I only know of one ferret vet here in
town (Fort Worth, TX).  Does anybody else know of another that I can get
a second opinion from?  Thanks again for your help.

James, Melissa & Kassidy

Loving:  Bebe, Jako, Riley
Missing: Wheezer, Pym, Ricki