From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:33:05 -0500
Dear Manae:

>I met someone in my area that told me that adrenal ferrets are caused by
>breeding ferrets that are to closely related.  What do you think?

>Next I was told by my vet that treatment for adrenal would be a shot every
>month until my ferrets symptoms were gone.  The shots would cost me $50.00
>a shot.  Could have to get them for only one month but could also take
>forever.  Is this true , what have others experienced?

There is a lot more to this story than you have been told.  My suggestion
would be to visit a number of sites - including the Medical FAQ at
http://www.ferretcentral.org,
Mike Janke's site at
http://www.miamiferret.org,
and my own site at
http://www.afip.org/ferrets
for a more comprehensive read on adrenal disease and the varied treatments,
which is beyond the limits set by this list.  this disease is a common
topic on the FML, so a check of the archives (listed above) would also be
helpful.

My personal approach to the balance of these cases is a surgical one, but
without knowing the age of your ferret, clinical signs, etc., I am hesitant
to prescribe a "one-size-fits-all" solution in this case.  Perhaps with a
bit more knowledge on your part, and more knowledge in this case, the FML
community may be able to help you with a more specific solution for your
particular ferret.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM