From:
"Cruz, Lisa L Ms GPRMC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:52:11 -0500
>From:    Lisa Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dogs and Ferrets

>1. If you have a dog is it an indoor or an outdoor dog?

They are indoor dogs, who have their own personal doggy doors

>2. How many and what kind of dog(s) do you have?

4 (2 schnauzers, a pug & a min-pin).

>3. Do you let the dog(s) and the ferret(s) socialize together?

All the time

>4. If you said that you do let them socialize together under
>   supervision, then how do you apply this supervision?

We block off the doggy doors, close the hallway door, and essentially
turn the LR, DR and kitchen into a humongous play area.  We got all of
our dogs from shelters, and when we first brought each home, we put the
cage on the floor for a few days, about 20-30 min.  at a time, and after
a few days, took the ferts out, and held them while the dog was able to
sniff, and inspect, the ferts.  At no time did we have any problems with
the dog (or ferts snapping at each other).  The next day, we would let
the ferts out for free play, and closely watch the dog(s) as they ran
around and generally chased each other.  They are so comfortable with
each other now, that the ferts will climb up on the back of the sofa and
dive bomb a dog as it walks past.  If the fert is lucky, (or the dog is
(un)lucky), the fert grabs hold of the collar with teeth and or front
paws and gets a thrilling ride around, until the dog lays down, or the
fert gets tired of holding on and slips off.

>5. Were the ferrets introduced when the dog was still a puppy?

Nope---all over 1 YO

6. Have you had any bad experiences with having dogs and ferrets?

>Nope, not a one...

Cheers,

Lisa Cruz
Teledermatology Project Manager
Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Information Management
Great Plains Regional Medical Command