Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:14:49 -0500
Chico was around 12 weeks old when we got him at PetCo.  He must have
been returned because he was by himself in a different cage than what
they put the MF kits in.  He was frantic, hanging on the cage wanting
out.  We had stopped in to get some supplies, but left without him.  We
went to Joe Tb s for dinner.  A pitcher of margaritas later we threw
caution to the wind and went back and got him.  We made it to the store
just before they closed.  With no carrier to put him in we had a good
time trying to hang on to him until we got home LOL!

I had to follow him around the house at first because I didn't know what
he was going to get into.  He about wore me out!  He got his head stuck
in the vacuum and I rescued him.  Unfortunately he brought ECE to our
home and we had to nurse Rowdy and Tunny back to health.  Chico got along
fine with Rowdy, but because Tunny was neglected as a kit he was not as
'social'.

Chico was our third ferret and leaves a huge hole in our hearts with
his passing.  He was fortunate to have a few years of normal health
before our home got compromised with ADV.  He did get a cough but got
over it.  He developed a huge spleen, but because of the virus it's
recommended to take it out.  He would get sick occasionally (lethargic
and fever) and I would freak out thinking I was going to lose him because
in the first few months of exposure I lost several ferrets.

He started coughing again, but it was not the familiar ADV cough I was
use to b so off to the vets we went.  I had to leave him and he clung
to me for dear life with this look in his eyes 'No, Mom don't leave me
here'!  I told him I would be back in a few hours and that he was going
to get some oxygen to make him feel better.  The x-ray showed clouded
lungs and my vet thought it was probably cancer.  We put him on Lasix
to see if that would help.

I knew he was on borrowed time so I had taken some afternoons off to be
with him.  Running home on my lunch hours to see how he was doing.  It
was a long, hard, struggle with him declining and I would have put him to
sleep earlier but it was not time yet.  We got him on a Saturday and he
left us on a Saturday.  He would have been 7 in February.

I hope he is healthy and happy now playing in plastic bags and eating
freeze- dried liver treats, his favorite, and it had to be Gimborn brand
or he wouldnb t eat them.  The little shit was such a character!

Sandee, please make sure that Rowdy and Harley were there to greet him
and he found ALL the others.

Please visit the ADV Tree Memorial page to see his picture and Harley's.

And then there were nine'&

Mary and The Nine Munchkins