Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:09:21 -0400
Marilyn Ledoux <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 8/16/2005...
>Abuse of an animal desensitizes the person, and usually carries
>over to abuse of humans.  Haven't our children been desensitized enough
>by the foul language we all hear, and the songs that teach them, not
>about love, but about lust, hate, killing, and beating people.

This is very true.  Most serial killers start out as animal abusers, and
while not all animal abusers grow up to be serial killers, many do carry
on the practice of abusing something or someone.

When I initially reported the pool, I said it was a Texas station,
because I received the link from a Texas person.  Turns out, it was a
station that serves western MD, northwestern VA, and southwestern PA.
In particular, on the website it mentions Washington County, MD

As to the final results - 1,380 people voted, and only 54, or
approximately 3% voted that jail time was too tough a punishment.  The
other 1.326 people that voted all voted NO.

I think it is interesting to note the Washington County location, as
that is where Hagerstown, MD - home to Di Bachman - is located.  It is
also an area where over the years there have been several big animal
abuse situations that have made the national news.

Most of us who remember the Di Bachman story were less then happy that
she got off with no jail time, although those of us close to the trial
know she got more then we had expected by getting 18 months probation,
50 hours of community service, a small fine and mandated counseling.

The prosecuting attorney in the case just didn't feel the crime warranted
punishment - at least not any real punishment, and had been willing to
let it go with only 90 days of probation.  Fortunately, the Judge
presiding over the case felt differently, and imposed a stiffer
punishment then requested.

However, the point I am making is that this is an area where animal
abuse is not seen by law enforcement officials as an important crime,
and is not prosecuted as fully as the laws of the state of MD would
allow.  Hopefully, polls like this one will help to change their minds,
by showing the public feels differently.

For anyone who is fairly new to the FML, and is not familiar with the
case, you can see details of the case and pictures about the rescue at
the following link:
      http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/3123/MD/US/1
--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator