From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:27:48 -0500
Many thanks to Tom who wondered if Sporotricosis/Sprorthricosis, which
one of his ferrets had, may be what the person needed info about.  That
could be it.

I could not find it in the indices of the vet texts so went first to
Google and looked it up.  It's fungal and is caught by a wide range of
animals.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol8num2/case_reports/sporotrichosis/
oliveira.html
is about it in cats in Brazil.

It includes:
>Sporotricosis is a ubiquitous mycosis characterized by nodular lesions
>of the cutaneous or subcutaneous tissues and adjacent lymphatics that
>usually suppurate and ulcerate.  Secondary spread to the articular
>surface and bone or dissemination to the central nervous system,
>genitourinary tract or lungs is also possible.  All forms of
>sporothricosis are caused by a single species, Sporothrix schenkii.  In
>the great majority of cases the fungus gains entrance into the body
>through trauma to the skin with some kind of plant materials such as
>thorns or splinters.  Zoonotic transmission is also possible and
>several animals are implicated.
>The clinical diagnosis, confirmed by histology and cultures, was
>sporotrichosis, a cosmopolitan, subcutaneous mycosis.  Sporothrix
>schenkii is a dimorphic fungus widely dispersed in nature and found
>mainly in dead or senescent plant matter, soil and several animals
>including equines, cats, dogs, pigs and birds.  [1] Zoonotic transmission
>is rare, but exposure to the numerous fungal organisms present in skin
>lesions of cats enhance the infective capability of such lesions and may
>produce disease by simple contact...

It sounds sometimes it resolves spontaneously.  It doesn't say treatments
for when it doesn't, but I'll search further if you want.  Please, get in
touch.

In Google. com on searches there is info under BOTH spellings.

You'll want to go to the article I cited and see if anything looks
familiar and of course ask your vet.  I couldn't find it in the vet
texts, but Liz Hillyer (co-author of _Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents_ has
diagnosed it, I was told.  I don't know if she is currently practicing in
NJ or in the Animal Medical Center, but it should be possible to arrange
a consultation if one is needed by contacting the Exotic Dept.  at the
AMC and asking.

Hope this helps!

MANY, MANY THANKS, Tom!

I love the way that folks here on the FML so often are so ready to work
together to help each other!