From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:31:47 -0400
Peter Brown wrote:
>Okay, I read the Ferret FAQ on the Web, and I assume there is one for
>this list as well, but I haven't seen it.

It's the same one; the nice people here on the FML have contributed quite a
bit to the Ferret FAQ.  (There's also a FAQ for the FML itself, which covers
things like how to get back issues.)

>I come home every weekend, but I _hate_ that I have to leave them
>alone together for so long.

Have a friend stop by every couple of days, or see if there's a ferret club
in the area which could suggest a pet-sitter (in your home or theirs).  The
ferrets should survive being in a cage all week just fine (as long as their
food and water don't run out), but they won't like it much, and they may get
a bit overweight and lazy.

Mireille Chiasson and Christine Hamilton both asked about introducing a new
ferret to established ones: There are a number of good ideas in the FAQ; the
most important is patience.  Give them a couple of weeks to get used to each
other, and chances are good that everything will work out.

Cheryl Mathison wrote:
>I just noticed this morning that Schnitzell, my 2-year-old Marshall Farms
>female ferret has thinning fur on her tail...

The usual rule of thumb is, if the hair loss stays on the tail, it's probaby
stress or seasonal/hormonal, especially if you see little blackheads or
reddish waxy stuff.  If it starts to move up the back end or across the
shoulders, think about adrenal disease, diet, mites, dry skin, and all the
other possibilities.

>I know that Marshall Farms ferrets are more prone to adrenal cancer...

At the risk of setting off a big debate, I don't think this is the case,
although I admit I have no more statistical proof than anybody else on
either side of the issue.

Wendy Hudson asked:
>One question: Velvet's fur is definitely yellowish on her head and neck and
>on her stomach.

Usually dietary, sometimes dirt (ear wax, etc.).  I'm sure there are scarier
possibilities, but they're not very common.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>