From:
Architectural Design & Construction LLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:27:07 -0400
Hi,
In regards to cats & ferrets, I have a cat and two ferrets, Stretch &
Stinklette are the ferrets and the cat is named Thor.  Reading your post
seemed like you were describing my crew.  One minute Stretch is after
Thor and the next Thor is after Stretch.  Thor will pounce on Stretch,
completely covering him in what appears to be the death grip, when all
of a sudden Stretch pops out and starts his war dance.  The two play for
hours.  Stinklette, being a smaller somewhat frail female occasionally
works up the moxy to jump in on the action.  Thor somehow sences the
frailty of Stinklette and doesn't play as rough with her as he does with
Stretch even though She doesn't hold back anything in attacking him.

I've always heard that cats and ferrets get along fine.  I have had this
mixture for 15 yrs. spanning 2 cats and several ferrets and they have
had nothing but fun & games.

One thing I didn't mention however, is we have all our cats De-clawed
(front and rear).  Our cats are house cats and never go outside, in fact
Thor (our present) is afraid to go outside.  He will sit in an open
doorway and watch, but starts trembling if you pick him up and take him
outside.  Under these circumstances I dont feel that the De-clawing is
such a big issue as some people may try to make of it.

I don't think the De-clawing is that big an issue with "cats & ferrets"
either, because before we managed to get Thor "fixed" he didn't use his
claws against the ferrets, he seemed quite gentle but playful.  We had
him De-clawed for furniture reasons, however it has eased my mind about
how rough they play.  I would not suggest De-clawing a cat that goes (or
may possibly get) outside.

There is one hold or grip that gives me concern howerer, and it should be
watched for.  That is, when the cat grabs the ferret with his front legs
in what appears to be a bear hug and starts to "dig" at the ferret with
his hind feet.  This is a cats natural hunting instinct in which they
disembowel their prey.  This is not aggressive but instinctual.  I have
never heard any reports of harm with this sort of play but it still makes
me a little uneasy, thus the rear De-clawing.

So to answer the question of "CATS & FERRETS" I'd say if a problem
doesn't occure within the first couple of days they should get along
execently.