From:
SUSAN MALONE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:12:00 CDT
While we are on the subject of kits in pet stores..  and since I am already
on a soapbox.... let's get back to this idea of HOW to actually change
things.  I quite often see a lot of complaints about conditions and care of
animals in pet stores from people on here.  And of course that is always
followed up with more complaints about pet stores, some defenses of pet
stores etc... it flames for a few days and then quiets down... until the
next time.  The one thing I never (or at least raely) see mentioned is
what, if anything, anyone is doing to change this??

I often tell people privately or on a bulletin board my personal belief
about how to make a difference... I guess it is time to share it here.
Once again..  is complaining, arguing and griping on this list going to
change anyting in your local pet store??  I seriously doubt it.  Instead
of taking all the time to write about how mad it made you, here's some
alternatives to do with that time.

1. IF the store is actually in violation of any humane or health
regulations..  report them!  Call your city or towns animal cruelty
investigator and ask them to look into it.
2. If the store is not violating laws but simply not caring for the
ferrets (or any other animal) in a correct manner..  OR if they are letting
people walk out the door with kits and no clue what to do with them...

This is what we do here and it HAS made a difference.  Granted not every
pet store will cooperate... but enough do that make it worthwhile.  Go
copy off some of the info in places like FerretNet, on basic care and
information... print it out and make some copies... or contact the American
Ferret Association and order some of their "What Is A Ferret" brochures.
Maybe also make up a little list of local ferret information contacts (like
a shelter) and names and numbers of good ferret vets as well.  Take these
to your local pet stores... and in a respectful, diplomatic manner, ask the
owner/manager to provide these sheets to their employees who work with the
ferrets and to hand them out with ferret sales.  It will take about $10 and
a couple hours of your time... but how many ferrets can you help?  Dozens!!

I personally did this with 8 pet stores in the Tulsa area... one threw me
out, one tossed the stuff in the trash and one I am not sure about... but
guess what??  The remaining 5 ARE handing the info out... I know because
people have called me asking for information since my number is listed for
the shelter conctact.  IT WORKS!  In the past 6 months alone, I can think
offhand of 14 people who purchased kits at a pet store who now have good
information regarding the care and feeding of their ferret they would not
have gotten otherwise.

The bottom line is this... my favorite saying.  If there is a problem,
don't just whine on the computer to people about it... get up and figure
out a way to correct it!  As someone else on this list is fond of saying..
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.