From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:50:11 -0500
>From:    Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Squeezes through?
>>How do you think the research is being done on the ECE virus?  What do you
>>think everyone was doing when ECE broke out and we didn't know how to
>>treat it at first?  ...

>I don't think any research is being done, though I hope I'm wrong.  It was
>some time ago that Dr. Williams told me drug-company funding had been
>pulled.  ... I don't know about other ECE studies, but what I heard was
>that Dr. Williams was using stool samples ... I have never heard and would
>highly, highly doubt that he was purposely infecting ferrets to have a
>control group... I don't think there was a need.

1.  As far as I know, no current research is being done on the ECE virus.  I
participated in the original research back in 1994-1995, but stopped at the
end of 1995, due ot the end of the grant, and an inability to find another
source of funding.  while we were able to learn a lot about the disease, its
transmission, and treatment options.

2.  While a lot of information was obtained by fecal and tissue samples sent
in by people experiencing ECE outbreaks, I also infected 12 animals with the
ECE virus to follow the progression of the disease.  No animals were allowed
to suffer, and no animals were allowed to develop severe debilitating
disease.  All infected animals were euthanized at the end of the study; any
animals not infected with the virus were adopted out.  The animals were
treated with respect and tremendous care, and their sacrifice was not taken
for granted.  It was not an easy time for myself, or anyone working with
these animals, however their sacrifice, and the knowledge that it produced
has saved the lives of literally thousands of ferrets since then.

I keep a picture of one of these animals on my wall in my office as a
memorial to their sacrifice and a reminder of a difficult period in my
career.

Bruce Williams, DVM