From:
"Joe P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:52:13 -0400
Hi,

In reference to the TF batches,... Generally, from what our customers with
affected lot numbers have told us is (1) The food smells "bad" to humans...
(2) The ferrets WON'T eat it.  If they do eat it, it will most likely cause
loose stools, BUT if in doubt, do not feed it - take it back to where you
bought it for an exchange.  Performance Foods stands behind this product,
and there should be no reason a store would not honor the return.  The
tough part about this is that "not all of the bags with these lot numbers
are affected".

I know we are totally wiped out of TF at The Ferret Store, except for a few
15# bags - which will probably be gone by mid Tuesday.  We are expecting
FRESH, Brand New product to arrive to us on Thursday.  I think basically,
the worst of this is over.  Performance has pulled questionable lot
numbers from our warehouse, and I am sure they have done so at every major
distributor.  The remaining "questionable" bags will probably remain
scattered throughout "pet stores" for awhile.  If you do buy any bags
from pet or feed stores, just keep your receipts and check the lot
numbers if you can.  This is simply because, distributors were distributing
"questionable" bags for about 2 weeks before anyone was aware of the
potential problem.  Even though the bags were then pulled from the
distributors, this means basically it is up to the distributor to let the
stores that they sell to know about the problem... Although there are many
excellent distributors in the USA, I'm sure not all of them contacted
stores they sold product to, to let them know.  There are thousands upon
thousands of stores in the USA.

In any event, this is a problem that could have happened to any pet food
manufacturer.  I think Performance Foods did a wonderful job of notifying
us, and consumers about the problem.  They acted responsibly, something
that many other food manufacturers would have never done.

Take care,

Joe Palko
The Ferret Store
Joe P., NEEPS, Inc.
Cust Serv: 1-888-833-7738
Office: 1-888-472-0366 x3696
Office: 1-570-208-3696 (Direct)
http://www.theferretstore.com
"We are proud to serve the ferret community since 1995."
"Check out our cat products, small animal products, and large
 assortment of cages the next time you visit us online!"