From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:44:33 -0700
>Yes it could which is why you should always ask if the rooms have been
>sprayed or treated. If they have, I would never even let my ferrets in

I'm sure the owners will do so in the future. But again, it is the
HOTEL'S responsibility to use safe products properly - which they did
not do.

>I hardly think my post was written to make these folks feel bad.

You pretty much stated that trophies and ribbons are more important
than the ferrets.

>Why can't people just be happy having these lovable guys as
>companions? I do not understand the show mentality. I

I've seen you at shows before, so I don't understand why you have this
negative view of a fun hobby where folks can get together with friends
and have fun with their ferrets. Going to a show is not exposing the
ferrets to anything more than what vacationing or traveling with them
for other reasons would expose them to. It also exposes them to less
then most shelter ferrets are exposed to on an almost daily basis.

>And I think that is fantastic. Will they also be testing for the
>Rabies titer?

It was mentioned that Dr Heller would like to do that, as well, but the
CD study has years to go so I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

>I still think that the best pre-caution is personal responsibility,

Of course, but when the general public is attending an event, you
have to build in safeguards. There was a bite incident at the Winter
Nationals show a year ago that thankfully was resolved once vaccine
paperwork was produced. I can only imagine what would have happened
if rabies was not required for show entry.

>Seems pretty simple to me. Vaccinating your animals is not
>guarantee that they aren't going to bite...

That is not why you vaccinate. Most vaccinate their ferrets for rabies
so that the ferret won't be killed for rabies testing if a bite
incident should occur.

Mary
www.ferretrescue.com
www.nbferret.com