From:
Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 02:27:45 -0600
Ferrari joined the household today.  He's an athletic and friendy silver
mitt who got dumped at the local humane society and stayed there a whole
month until someone told me about him.  Sheesh.  I don't even think about it
any more.  I just went down and got him.  The humane society people, who
hardly ever see ferrets, told me they hunted around on the web and found "a
really amazing book on ferrets that was incredibly detailed" -- the FAQ, I
believe.  Love that FAQ.  Ferrari was eating Iams kitten when I got there,
even though the people who dropped him off told the humane society that
rabbit food would do fine.

Anyway, I brought Ferrari home and he ran and ran for hours, until he was
panting from exhaustion.  He was just ecstatic to be free, and he celebrated
that by violating every single remaining ferret-free shelf, countertop, etc.
in the house (e.g.  "hmmmm, guess I can't keep the ferret food *there*
anymore...").  Quite the athlete.  He took one look at the barrier that
keeps everyone else from going out the front door, leaped straight at the
top, and teetered briefly there as I dove in his direction with a yelp.
This got Mr. Ferrari's attention, and he dropped back inside and gave me a
bark.  Always wondered what other people meant when they said their ferts
barked.  Don't have to wonder anymore.

So I left everyone to their devices and went shopping for a serious screen
door.  When I got home, the first thing I did was a head count.  I was
pretty sure I knew all the snooze spots, but after checking every one, I was
still short a ferret...Ferrari.  I looked high (I thought) and I looked low,
and then I stood still and scratched my head.  Finally noticed a movement
out of the corner of my eye.  Ferrari.  And he was sleeping in a place I
have *never*, in all my months of reading the FML, heard of another ferret
choosing.  Ferrari was draped over the bar in the closet that the coat
hangers hang from (what the heck is that thing called?).  Exactly in half,
tail hanging down one side, head hanging down the other.  Jeez, if I tried
that, I'm sure I'd be ready to puke within minutes, but Ferrari is quite
happy there.  I showed him lots of other snooze spots, but he climbed back
up and resumed his nap, where he is now as I write.

Every ferret is different -- truer words were never spoken.

I just wrote my checks to the Kodo defense fund and the CA legalization
effort, and I encourage every one of you who hasn't to do the same.  Small
investments that could pay off big -- I like the odds.  Here, one more time,
are the addresses:

Gloria Davis
Treasurer, Great Lakes Ferret Association
27654 Southpointe
Grosse Ile, MI  48138
Make checks out to: GLFA Legal Action Fund

Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Rd.
Woodside, CA  94062

Go grab yourself a couple of envelopes and scribble those down while you're
thinking about it.  Piece o' cake, eh?

-- Khaz, Tarkio, McKenzie, Ferrari (royalty) and Kim (humble servant)