From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:32:28 -0400
Zoe came to us from folks who just had a baby and couldn't take care of
her anymore. She was greatly loved, but they thought it best to be able
to get her the extra love etc. that she deserved.

She was so sweet, and oh so bouncy at a tender age of 6 months. We love
her bunches! at the age of about two, she started to develop a chordoma
in an odd spot, one inch from her bum, We realized that it would need
to be taken care of, as some chordomas can go cancerous. This meant
tail amputation, as it was so close to her bum.

the surgery went well, but it was evident that she knew something was
different, and that she was missing something. She was on antibiotics
for two weeks, and a pain killer for about 5 days

Our vet did a wonderful job. the surgery in itself being successful,
the tail was sent for biopsy which turned out negative Yeah Zoe! Zoe
was touchy about her back end, and we have modified how we hold her in
order not to put pressure on her stump. She also gets touchy at other
ferts who take too much interest in her "nub". She knows her tail is
no longer there, and she knows it makes her different.

It has been about a year, now, and Zoe has gone about being just like
all other ferts. No one is allowed to touch the nub, she dances and
fluffs and makes like she is going to attack you. Though I do not
believe it bothers or hurts her, I do not allow anyone to mess with the
nub. If it happens, it's usually accidental, while playing with her.

Are we done with this? No. there is a possibility of another chordoma
or another problem later on with the amputation site. all appears fine
so far, but I have our vet watch her anyway....

by the way, she's a little sable and she looks like a little bear
(which is her nick name) with her tail gone! She still will bottle
brush the bit of tail left, and then it looks like a bunny tail

Cindy (not a vet)
and the Slightly Used ferret gang