From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 05:59:41 -0500
Hello Fellow Ferret Fanatics!

Say THAT three times fast!

I have three children in grade school and they've been telling their
classmates that we have ferrets.  Of course, some of the children have
never even SEEN a ferret.... I finally decided that I would take one of the
ferrets to the school for an introduction.  The hardest part was deciding
which of my fuzzies to take!  I ended up settling on Kiwi (my DEW).  What a
sensation he caused!!  I made sure that I took his vaccination records...
actually, I took his entire health file *just in case* some ADULT freaked
out.  Kiwi was on his harness/leash with his name tag proudly jangling.
He scurried down the hallways, stopping to check out the shoes of children
that stopped to see him.  In the first grade class, he ran about on the
tables and tried to steal crayons, pencils, scissors, and someone's snack.
He was hilarious and really showed the FUN side of ferrets.  Right in line
with the humor of first graders!  Back out in the hallway, word had gotten
round to the special ed teachers who brought one special child at a time
to see the furry snake.  These children were either severely handicapped
or mentally challenged.  Most of these children wanted to TOUCH Kiwi.  So,
holding Kiwi with his face away from them, the children were allowed to
pet him.  (The ONLY reason I held him face away was so that the children
wouldn't be startled if he reached over for a kiss)  One little boy with
Downs Syndrome ran his hand ever so gently down Kiwi's back... and then his
face lit up with the biggest grin!  And then he leaned over and buried his
face in Kiwi's luxurious white coat.  What a sight!!  I got all choked up,
as did the special ed teachers!  And I was so impressed by Kiwi.  He was so
still while all the children touched him.  He's usually a squirm!

After that it was time to visit the 4th graders.  Kiwi was so anxious that
he ran up the stairs and found his way to the fourth grade wing hauling me
along behind him.  He was on a Mission!  When the teacher across the hall
from my daughter's class found out there was going to be a FERRET nearby,
she nearly screamed (!), declared, "Ewwwwww a RAT-THING!" and she closed
her classroom door!!!  Kiwi was rather indignant and he refused to let her
get away with calling him a "rat-thing".  He went right to HER classroom
door!!  The teacher worked up some courage and opened the door at which
time I was able to educate her that ferrets are in no way related to rats
or any other rodents.... that he was litterbox trained, did NOT bite (I
wouldn't bring him if I even THOUGHT he MIGHT bite!), that he was
intelligent, curious, and a companion animal.  She finally let me bring
him in to her classroom.  Kiwi was being adorable!  He snuggled in my arms,
yawned wide, and even did his "play dead" trick where he goes completely
limp upside down in my hands.  Well, let me tell you, Kiwi charmed that
teacher!  By the end of my speech and question and answer period, the
teacher was actually petting Kiwi!!  YAY!!!  My daughter's teacher was
much more receptive and the children in the class asked some very good
questions.  Unfortunately, due to time contraints, we weren't able to get
to the 6th graders.  But, Kiwi was able to make a difference in the lives
of special ed children and a teacher who knew nothing about ferrets.  So,
that made it worth it to miss the 6th graders!

It was soooo amazing to see this little white fuzzy ambassador put on so
many different "hats".  He seemed to KNOW what behavior was going to be
appropriate for each class!

Kiwi and his brother Theo are going to be celebrating their one-year
birthdays on the 18th of this month!  Hmmmmm...does anyone have a recipe
for a ferret birthday cake with TF, raisins, cherios, ferretone, chicken
gravy....????

Just wanted to share my Proud Ferret Mom Moment!
Renee
Looking for some ferret people in your area?  Then check out the
                                       FML Where List at:
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3157/where.html
                         And the Shelter/Rescue and Club List at:
   http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3157/where2.html