From:
Michael Ochs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:22:47 EDT
John wrote:
>"I have read the FML now for only about 4 days, but I've been interested in
>ferrets for about two weeks (you fall in love with them as soon as you read
>about them, at least I did!) cuz I read about them in a local forum on a
>BBS I call.  I am only 15 years old (I know what you're thinking, "hes
>nuts!!" but I'm not)"

Actually, John, you are crazy, but then so are we!  Ferrets really are fun,
but they are also a pain at times -- like most animals, although ferrets
have a certain propensity for mischief which I think is tied to their
persistence.

I will start by echoing Bill's comments -- check out the FAQ first thing.
Directions for getting it are in every issue.  Additional comments below:

>2. I want to get two ferrets so they can play with each other...

I definitely think you should get two.  I have no two siblings and all of
mine get along.

>3. Should I buy one from a store or get one from a local shelter.

There is nothing wrong with a good pet store, however I am a strong
supporter of going the shelter route.  You are saving two animals then + a
responsible shelter will help you pick two ferrets which will immediately
get along and which will not cause you undue problems as a new ferret owner.

>9. I really need help on ferret proofing my (future) apartment, what are
>the dangers, what materials do I use??

Ferret proofing is truly only partly possible.  I use a cage for my guys
with free time for mischeif twice a day.  This is a good idea, especially
in an apartment, since they would be damaging your landlord's building.

>12. What size cage for two of the little guys (or gals)??

I like the bigger the better scenario.  I suggest attending a ferret show
if one is in your area and checking out cages specific to ferrets.  I built
my own using 2x2's and hardware cloth, but to be honest it is not much
cheaper, however I could build to exactly suit the spot it went in (not
very useful for apartments though since you move from time to time).

>17. This one I would really like an answer to-- are they really as smart as
>they sound ???

Well, I doubt they would intentionally write a computer virus to ferret out
(sorry :-)) credit card numbers and automatically order more toys, but if
monkey's could type Shakespeare...

I do however believe they could get into a drawer and drop out all the
items in it.

All the rest is in the FAQ I think.  I just got my lab pup and I waited 13
years, so don't fret too much, the time will pass.

Mike, Erica, and Ian
Fezzik, Alexis, William, Rebecca (who can get anywhere)
RIP  Inigo, Pandora, Buttercup