From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:43:53 -0400
Hi everybody!

THANK YOU
Before I say another work, I want to send a huge, big, sincere THANK YOU
from the bottom of my heart to all of you caring, wonderful people who took
the time to write me about Paleface.  Your words of advice and support meant
alot to me.  Using your advice, I'm going to provide my boy with the best
care possible to improve his gastrointestinal condition.  I'll keep y'all
posted.  Since his condition has been ongoing for some time now, I do not
believe that it is immediately life-threatening, but I for one will not take
any chances.  I don't want to see my boy sick or unhappy.

Special thanks to Dr. Dutton and Dr. Levine.  Thank you for taking time out
of your busy veternary schedule to volunteer" here.

The FML is such a special place and a wonderful resource.  Everyone who
participates is so fortunate to have discovered this great educational (and
fun) forum!

BOISTEROUS FERRETS
To the folks whose ferrets do not want to be cuddled, only want to rough
house or explore, don't despair!  You have a perfectly normal ferret.
Ferrets often show affection by playing and/or even nipping at your toes.
Some ferrets, as they grow older, will settle down somewhat and may become
more cuddly.

MICHELLE ANDERSON - COMPANIONSHIP, BATH TIME
Your ferret sounds perfectly normal (see above).  You are right; your ferret
may be happier for some companionship.  Of course, another ferret is a bit
more work, and may not initially get along with Mischief.  Unfortunately, I
do not have much advice to offer in the "convincing Mom" department, except
to say that you might want to point out the information in the FAQ regarding
ferrets being better off for having a companion.  You might also want to
reassure her that you will take full financial and personal responsibility
for the ferrets' health and well-being.

Regarding the bath incident, Mischief displayed the common "I'm scared!"
response.  It's hard to say why she suddenly panicked after having been
bathed without incident before, but rest assured that she's normal.  A nice
treat after bath time often helps to "make nice." Also you might try taking
Mischief in the shower _with you_.  You'd be surprised how much calmer she
may be.  (BTW - Her feet have "nails" (like a dog) that are not
retractable/extendable, not claws (like a cat).  Uh, "rabid animal" is kinda
uncomplimentary!  Poor girl was just scared!  : ) )

And, of course, if you haven't already heard, read the FAQ for some great
information.  (See the top of this FML for info. on how to receive the FAQ.)

DOUG - SHELTERS, CARPET DIGGING
Regarding ferret companionship/compatibility, check out the FAQ section on
introducing ferrets.  There are a plethora of actual ferret shelters
operating, although the local animal shelter may well have ferrets for
adoption too.  You might call them to ask about availibility or to ask for a
reference for a local ferret shelter.  Also, for a list of shelters near
you, An extensive list of ferret clubs, breeders, organizations, vets and
catalogs is maintained by STAR*Ferrets and is available on the World Wide
Web at
<http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/for-others/database.html>

It is also available from a list server.  Send email to
with the line SEND FERRET DATABASE in the body.  Note that the file is
rather long, around 44K, which may give some mailers problems.

Carpet digging has been solved by some folks by tacking (nailing) down
plastic runners near favorite digging spots.  Alternatively, you might tack
down a carpet remnant or wire mesh in the digging spot.

Well, I hope I've helped a few folks out there.  I hadn't had a chance to
post lately, and I've been feeling remiss.  Now that the smoke is clearing a
little, I'm back!

Gina and the Three Muskyteers

[Moderator's note: The current FERRET DATABASE is a LOT bigger - it's about
112K now.  BIG]