From:
Sue Zamora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:31:23 -0500
Hi Eleanor,

Regarding your FML question:
>Question?  Has anyone ?  a vet?  tried acupuncture on ferrets for pain
>or treatment of any kind?  I know they treat cats and dogs because these
>pets have been "mapped out" by the Chinese years ago.  What about ferts
>and if not, why not?  Just curious and wondering.  Anyone with
>information on this????
>
>Eleanor Mead

My vet, Dr. Robert Ness, DVM practices in the Chicagoland area.  He is
relatively new to the art of acupuncture in animals.  He has successfully
done acupuncture on bunnies.  Back in April of this year, he asked me if
we could try doing acupuncture on my 6-year ferret, Morocco, who had
multiple problems with anemia, insulinoma and adrenal disease.  (Morocco
was the first ferret that he performed acupuncture on.) Morocco had
already had surgery for his left adrenal and insulinoma 2 years earlier.
His major problem was with the anemia.  We just couldn't get his red
blood count to go up.  Morocco was quite weak.  Dr. Ness' goal was to try
acupuncture on him to see if he could improve his energy level.  Dr. Ness
had to "map out" the ferret body on his own as he could not find any
other ferret references.  Our first two appointments were a bit lengthy
(about 45 minutes to an hour) mainly due to Morocco having to itch and
shake his body.  Every time he shook, several needles would fall out.  We
didn't see any improvement until, I believe, week 3 or 4.  He seemed to
begin to perk up a little.  Vet visits were shorter as Dr. Ness got more
familiar with the procedure.  But, Morocco's anemia still wasn't getting
any better.  Actually, his red blood count dropped a little.  By week 6,
Morocco got really weak, stopped eating, and we ended up having to help
him to "the bridge".  (I think Morocco was bleeding internally, perhaps
an ulcer or something, that was preventing him from improving.)

I think Dr. Ness could have helped Morocco if he didn't have that anemia
problem.  Unfortunately, we'll never know.  Dr. Ness also does
chiropractics and other alternative therapies on ferrets and other
animals.  Feel free to check out his website at
www.nessexoticwellness.biz .  It is new and still under construction at
this time but it will give you a little info on his background.  He may
be able to help you out with any other questions you may have.  I am
copying him on my response to you in case he would like to add any new
progress he has had.

Sue