From:
Paula A Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 23:16:14 -0700
[Moderator's note: This is an edited version of what was posted on the
Kodo Web site, kindly forwarded to the FML by Paula.  BIG]

[log in to unmask] wrote:
Contrary to Thursday's report, it appears that the judge's decision is
likely to be based solely on the fact that there is a lack of any study
showing the shedding period of the bat rabies virus variant in ferrets.

Court reconvenes at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday for final arguments.

As written in the court order, the current stay (which is what is keeping
Kodo alive) expires at the time the judge makes a decision.  What this
means, is that if the judge decides that Kodo will be killed, Bay County may
proceed before there is an opportunity to file an appeal for the Appellate
Court to issue another stay (or continue the current one) pending a decision
by the Court of Appeals.

Of course, the attorney can request that the judge give him time to file an
appeal, but the judge does not have to grant such a request.

Our last resort - the only person who can intervene if this situation
occured would be the governor.  Please, please FAX Governor Engler asking
him to intervene and request that Kodo not be euthanized pending a decision
from the court of appeals.

While the case is being heard, the governor cannot do anything.  But once
the circuit court makes the decision, he can.  I've been told he likes
animals.

Please be polite.  Please sends faxes - they are pieces of paper that must
be handled and have a better chance of being read than e-mails.  If you also
want to e-mail, fine, but please send faxes.  Companies like Kinko's, Sir
Speedy and many other places that do copying will fax your letter, often for
$2.00 or less.  If you literally do not have the money to send a fax,
contact us.

Governor Engler's fax number and address is below:Gov John Engler
PO Box 30013
Lansing, Mi 48909
517-335-7858
Fx - 517-335-6863 or
     517-335-6949

You can also e-mail me or Paula.
Kodo's Web Site:  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/6560
I'm at Miska BC if on AOL or [log in to unmask] if not (in case you copy and
forward this post).
Paula is at [log in to unmask]

I asked Jim Scott, the attorney and ferret shelter person who has worked
with many of the people involved with this effort since the beginning, and
who advised me about this post, if he thought we had a one in a thousand
chance.  While I can't remember his exact words, he basically said that he
thought the odds were a lot better than that, if people will help in this
way.

Thank you all so much.

Beth & Paulamatthew,