From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:48:19 EST
Baths....
>Many people find that ferrets prefer warmer bath water than you'd expect.
>Certainly don't scald them, but the general consensus is that ferrets like
>it a bit warmer than you'd use for a human baby, probably because they have
>higher body temperatures than we do.  As long as it's comfortable to you
>when you first put your hand or foot it, it should be okay.

We shower our ferrets and because we are in there with them, the temperature
isn't ever scalding.  But, Pam is quite right when she says they like warmer
water then we do.  I do 90% of the ferret baths and I know for a fact that
they squirm a heck of alot less when the water is warmer then my usual
shower temperature.  (Believe me, when you're not wearing any clothes and
you're holding and giving a bath to a ferret, you definately notice when
they are more squirmy!:)

As an aside, we found that our ferrets enjoyed the showers much more then
baths.  I think the close contact with us was more comforting to them in the
beginning when baths were a new experince.  I think the shower time is much
shorter then the time needed for a bath - an advantage with an animal who
has a short attention span.

If you do want to try showering with your ferrets, make sure you keep their
toenails clipped - but, don't do this right before the shower.  The newly
clipped nails are WAY too sharp.  Clip the nails a day or too before.  This
way the nails have a chance to loose those sharp edges.  Enjoy your shower!

-kim, squirt (I want a bath!), pippi (I hate baths!), atlas (Me first!),
 'Jinx (Ye-ow! I'm wet!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.