Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:41:06 -0400
HeyHeyHey,

I was watching Animal Planet and recently saw a segment on wild
performing animals.  The organization involved is called Performing
Animals Welfare Society (PAWS).  On the segment they discussed how wild
animals used for pets are dangerous becuase of the harm they can do to
small children.  Unfortunately they used ferrets as one of the examples.

Below is their contact information and the letter I wrote to them.  Lets
be nice folks, but lets fix this.

  email:  [log in to unmask]
  web addy:  www.pawsweb.org
  snail mail:
  PO Box 849 Galt
  CA  95632
  (wonder if they got their info from fish and game)
  Phone number:
  209-745-2606

Hello,

I recently watched a segment of Wild Rescues that featured your
organization.  I love what you are doing for performing and wild animals.

I do have one major concern.  A portion of your segment was explaining
why wild animals were not safe to have as pets because of the potential
harm they can do to children.  While I agree with this statement in
general, one of the animals you used to illustrate this point was a
ferret.

It is a well documented fact that ferrets have been domesticated for well
over three thousand years.  Some even believe they have been domesticated
longer than the dog or cat, both of which can also cause serious harm to
small children.

As an active member of the ferret community, I could not let this kind of
misinformation slide.  We have worked too long and too hard to protect
the animals that we love, just as you do.

In closing, thank you so much for all the fine work that you do in
regards to animal welfare and protection, in a much neglected feild.

Sincerly,

Karen Douglas

HappyTails,
Karen and the Scruff You Gang