From:
JMYSHARONA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:08:00 EDT
To the poster of 4-28 regarding MF bashing and shelters....Have to respond
to this one...
I agree that MF bashing will accomplish nothing!  Patience, determination
and diplomacy will.

Most shelters, that I know of, are run out of these people's homes!!  You
want to discuss giving up privacy!!  Our shelter mom is LUCKY, and I DO mean
LUCKY, to have a day off.  If it isn't people calling for information about
ferrets, it's people coming over to see ferrets.  Not to mention the little
store which is also there to help support the shelter.  These people do all
this of their own free will for the love of ferrets.  How many strangers do
you allow in your home?  I've been over to our shelter so often I was once
prompted to ask "Sandy?, Where did you get the purple toilet bowl cleaner?"
That's a personal question, if I've EVER heard one!!!  Go ahead and ask a
shelter operator what their work schedule is!!  Don't be suprised if you're
not exhausted just listening to it!  My point is... These people work
unbelievably hard.  If you don't want to answer the questions then don't!!
I'm sorry if this post seems a bit strong but I know the hard work,
dedication, and love these people give.  I've seen the heartbreak caused by
the loss of a ferret despite every effort humanly possible to save it.
Nobody's a Saint, I'll grant you that, but these people come pretty d***
close!

Next;
A pet store in my area told an aquaintance of mine that the two kits they
had just purchased were 4 weeks old.  They are first time owners and had no
idea.  I didn't see the kits myself, but explained that this was very
unlikely.  I contacted the store and asked them to check their paperwork.
The kits, at the time of purchase were 6-7 weeks.

Seeing so many posts similar to this would make me believe that the pet
store clerks are either guessing or are intentionally misleading people.
If you are told a kit is impossibly young, ask to see the certificates.
Breeders will include general birthdates (usually "the week of").  If the
documentation doesn't match what you were told, and you don't mind making
a little fuss, ask them about a law which most states have; it's called
"truth in advertising".  Granted, the age wasn't "advertised",per se, but
it was presented as fact when they were questioned, so it was, at least,
misrepresented.  Maybe this will get some of these clerks to at least learn
a little about the animals they're trying to sell.

SP