From:
Wes Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:51:18 -0500
This is Susie Lee with the Ferret And Dove Sanctuary, Inc in support of
Troy Lynn and in one answer to "soeasilyamused" regarding this (quote)

>One should be verrrrrrry careful using dog flea products on other
>animals.  My mother put some of the dog version of an Advantage-esque
>product (don't remember which brand) on my cat.  He got very sick and
>had to be rushed to the vet, medicated, bathed and shaved.  The
>"money-saving" action cost me $500 and a lecture from the vet for
>using a product that specifically said, "not for use on cats".

We asked two vets at each of the two animal hospitals we have accounts
with about using Advantage drops on all the ferrets (currently 56, but
at the time we asked, 65) and each vet recommended that we may use the
largest tubes (for dogs) since this was simply the most economical for
so many ferrets, but we had careful instructions to NOT punture the tubes
as the package directions give, but to use a sewing-needle or a push-pin
so as to make a much smaller hole in the tubes' ends, and then give two
TINY drops to each ferrets' back-of-their-necks.  Whatever you get, stay
clear of anything you don't get from a licensed vet's office, i.e. no
over-the-counter.

Three years ago, we got some B**spot listed as safe for cats, kittens AND
ferrets from a catalog and it KILLED a ferret with a single small drop.
When we got to the vet's office at that time, (our main vet's office is
just three minutes away, the over-the-counter stuff had killed the poor
ferret before we got there).  Turned out that This Same Product had
already killed three other cats that SAME morning.  The product was too
highly concentrated.  The risk you run with over-the-counter junk is
either this or total ineffectiveness.  ONLY get flea products from a
licensed veterinarian and follow your vet's instructions about it.

In other news, we have new adoptables shown on both our regular page and
on Petfinder.

Look for Spatzie Platuinum and Munieko D'oro Ferrets...
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/ferret_rescuer/index.html
http://www.Petfinder.org/shelters/FL571.htm
and come join our group!