From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:37:44 -0500
My visual field has worsened a lot again. I did not notice because it
has only been a month that I have had a reasonably working solution for
blinding glare, a mesh eyepatch with I love. So the perspective from
behind the eyes has been that things finally improved this month
because of the patch type. The woman who makes these patches provided
me with so much by making and selling them. I plan to get more. Even if
(or when) I lose the eye they will be more comfy than standard patches
which heat up a load.

So in the middle of next month I get to have another three hour
evaluation and then probably a bleb revision surgery, so probably
another invasive eye surgery is in my near future.

That eye has less than 20% of its field now and because my pressure was
too low for too long after the surgery in Spring I also have damage to
the retina and lens.

This time I will use a different surgeon than the well considered male
diva in MA who left me with this mess and repeatedly forgot that people
are actually attached to the eyes. (I am not a litigious person but in
his case I considered making a sole exception especially for the
behaviors that happened when he forgot that people are attached to eyes
and that patients have a right to be involved in their care and be
spoken to when something painful has to happen instead of signaling
a coworker to pin the person against the head bar. Pain is not the
problem; I know pain. Removing a patient's selfsovereignty is the
problem. That was a lot worse than I make it sound and is still too
painful to think about often, and not the way any surgeon has ever
before treated me. I did not take him to court but for the first time
ever in my many years I seriously thought about it due to his
deprivation of my rights as a patient. He is someone who has made some
progress for glaucoma so has done good in the world but needs to not
make his own patient interface choices. I figure I can feel free to
say this because I never said who he was and because this is the sorry
reality.)

FORTUNATELY there is now a surgeon in NJ who my ophthalmologist feels
good about, but he will have to deal w a very narrow band. An IOP of
10 is now too high for my degree of damage, but 6, which is just above
hypotony caused the added damage. The poor man is going to be asked to
try something very, very difficult. We will see if it is possible. This
one donates time to eye charities and is honest about the good and the
bad on his website, so I feel much better about him for my needs, and
those things are ones to be respected. He also is someone who has made
advances in the field.

I guess, though, it is like aging in a way. With age each day is the
oldest a person has been, but it is also the youngest the person will
ever be, so maybe in between mourning my vision (both interactive btwn
the eyes and the vision of that eye specifically) I also had better
appreciate what I have while I actually have it.

Lori, sorry about not calling. We have had three human family seniors
very ill, and Steve's dad died recently (so now two still ill).