Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:58:49 EST
It is with a very heavy heart that I write this.  I just helped Pepper
cross over the bridge.  She was seven and a half years old.  Pepper went
into kidney failure over the weekend.  She stopped eating and drinking.
I had planned to let nature take its course.  Pepper had a very full and
active life.  She was my tiniest little girl.  Only weighed just over a
pound her whole life.  But she enjoyed life so much.  She survived
adrenal surgery back in 1999.  Didn't slow her down any at all.  I did
give her watered down duck soup.  And I took her outside yesterday so she
could enjoy the fresh air and sunshine one more time.  I hadn't seen her
urinate in about 48 hours, even with what liquids I was getting down her.
She was dehydrating on me.  I took her in to the vet this morning.  Her
kidneys were not working.  I made the decision to help her cross before
she was in a lot of pain and suffered.  My vet let me hold her while the
shot was administered.  She doesn't do this for most people.  She and I
had to help a baby cross the bridge one night after midnight back at the
beginning of the year.  So she knew I could handle it.  It made it easier
in lots of ways.  Pepper was my sweet kisser.  She hadn't kissed me in
the last two days.  When I held her to say goodbye before the shot, she
kissed me.  Letting me know it was okay to let her go.  I will treasure
that memory forever.  Now my concern turns to Bubbles who will be eight
next month.  She and Pepper were buddies.  I hope I can help her through
our loss of Pepper.

For the love of ferrets and the human hearts they hold,

Barbara Laugesen
Bubbles, Simon, Calvin, and Blake

At the bridge - Pepper, Sneezy, Rosey, Nosey, Rascal and a special foster
ferret, Sophie