From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:44:21 -0400
Alicia a newby?  That's like labeling Steve a slacker.  No way!  (Hmm,
Steve's startlingly modest, too -- wonder if the two are spirit sharing?
If so, Alicia, when will the Business Week article come out?  Steve won't
tell me.)

Oh, someone noticed my praise for Lynn and Mike and thought I was dissing
Pam by omission.  Nope.  Might have worded it poorly, but she's held in
strong respect and trust here.

Otter's ferrets go boom: hang some hammocks underneath so the fall will be
broken close-by with something soft and forgiving.

If I may be a bit silly on a serious topic: If humans are really so
all-fired smart that we can "own" other critters then we SHOULD be
intelligent enough to somewhat adjust our own behaviors instead of
expecting ferrets to all of the mental work needed for compromise.  If
humans can't figure out how to adjust then perhaps ferrets should actually
own us.  In that case, though, bopping them (for those who engage is this
behavior -- of which we disapprove) would be tantamount to "biting the hand
that feeds you", although in such situation it would become "striking the
face which kisses you".  Of course, those who hit ferrets might NOT be
kissed by those sweet faces.  Ever wonder why?  How inclined are you to
kiss someone who has bashed you in the snout?  Sure, it can be hard to
learn how to train without the primate short-cut of hurting with those
hands, but it seems that the longer people have ferrets the less they
resort to pain (and the sweeter their ferrets become) so there's hope.
Frankly, I'm not the swiftest road runner in the road so if could learn to
train through kindness anyone can.

I LOVED that comparison to an elephant raising a human!!!!  It was just so
on the mark.

Sukie
A quick note which isn't ferret, but I know a lot of people here have
allergies.  The dentist had a lab make up a special mouth guard for me
which is called a "Snore No More" which has a tab that keeps the mandible
pushed to the front in an underbite position, and I just have to tell you
that aside from letting Steve get some sleep (Poor Woofer!) it also keeps
my airway more open so I've been able to have 2 fewer hours of sleep each
night and awaken refreshed.  Very useful and perhaps this type of answer
may help some others here.