Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:17:28 EDT
I spent yesterday at the ferret shelter.  Seeing all the bald babies
that are going to die there that get only 30 minutes out each day is so
heartbreaking.  I spent 6 hours there and only got one room of ferrets
nails clipped, ears cleaned, Petromalt served, and moisturizer rubbed in.
Never touched a litter box or the food or water or toweling or papers or
the loads of wash to be done.  Norm was sooo tired.  He was just starting
on the second room when I left about 7 PM.  I had my own cages to clean,
and 14 litter boxes to dump, and scrub out, and soups to prepare, and
meds to give.  Still felt guilty leaving.

Norm says that the shelter this year has averaged taking in a ferret a
day.  About 250 ferrets taken in just this year.  Another came in while I
was there: a boy about 4 years old.  He was a gentle, good looking silver
mitt..  turning white.  Nice fellow.  Totally dumbfounded.  No idea what
was going on.  He lay peacefully in my lap and then in my arms, and on my
shoulder as I prepared him a cage.

Poor, ignorant baby.  He had no idea his mom and dad were never going to
hold him again.  Or that he may well die in that cage of old age.

The owners could not make up their minds which excuse to tell.  Moved to
an apartment, or no time.  I think they changed to the apartment story
because they realized that this shelter does not have enough hours in the
day to spend time with their ferret..  Walking in and seeing the hundred
some ferrets probably foiled their no time excuse they gave over the
phone.

I wanted to take this guy home with me.  He had had a fellow ferret
friend that had passed.  So he might be friendly with my guys.  I did not
wanted to lessen the impending pain and confussion and lonliness as much
as possible.

But Mini-Me would chew his sweet natured body up.  She is running around
now searching frantically for someone to latch onto with her teeth.  Room
to room.  Hidey hole to hidey hole: she is dashing and searching.  Her
intended victims were just safely tucked away for the day.  Marias wounds
are still healing.  I do not always catch Mini-Me before she scoots out a
door.

Seeing these guys --knowing they will be here until they die--is
disturbing.  Gets one off the pity pot, that is for sure.  Poor Cheyenne.
He is dead.  He should have, could have.  I should have, could have, wish
I could have..........

My thanks to all of you for your support in this sad day.  Cheyenne has
had a wonderful wake.  And for at least 3 of the years of his life---he
was almost always free range, healthy, and maniacally joyful.

The ecstasy he felt the minute I set him down in his own home is still
etched in my memory.  Talk about dooking and dancing!!!!!!!!!!!  After
years in a shelter-----a home of his own?

GCFA has 100 some ferrets that would go wacky if they could find a home
to love them.  If anyone in Illinois is searching or thinking of another
baby---go to www.GCFA.com.  You will not be sorry.

And if you are steeped in tears and making alot of honking noises, and
your eyes have almost disappeared into your red swollen face?

Spend the day at the shelter helping those still alive.  And realize how
VERY lucky your baby was.

Thank you all
Lisette