From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:20:36 EDT
I wonder.... So much of the FML lately has been devoted to disagreements,
retractions of statements, misunderstandings, clarifications,
clarifications of clarifications, etc., do you think part of the reason
might reside in some poor use of the English language?  A missed or
misplaced comma, atrocious grammar, poor spelling -- all those things we
should have mastered in school -- can contribute to the misunderstandings
and the subsequent flaming messages.

Most of our E-mail platforms have some form of spell check.  If everyone
used theirs at least spelling (but not always syntax) errors would be
minimized.  If we all make a serious attempt at improving our grammar,
punctuation, etc., then maybe, just maybe, fewer misunderstandings would
result.  And this would make BG much happier!

The FML is a great vehicle for ferret lovers to share pleasures and
concerns.  (It's on my must read list every day.)  Perhaps a little self
discipline would be useful at this time to assure misunderstandings are
minimized, preferably eliminated.

A. Wiebe
Cincinnati, OH