From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 13:09:26 -0500
Edward Hughes:     My deepest sympathy for your loss of Mei-mei. I am so
sorry, and I applaud the thoughtful devotion you had for your pet which
was evidenced by the investment of emotion and resources you clearly made
on her behalf. You are a good parent!
    The rest of my post is not in any way a reflection on the vet or
hospital where Mei-Mei was treated but is just my very humble opinion on an
important topic that Ed's post reminded of...

     I am a vet tech for a large dog/cat animal hospital with 24 hour
7-days-a-week care.  There is always a veterinarian on duty even though he/she
may be asleep but the important thing is that there is at least one (holidays)
and usually two technicians on duty who are required to remain awake at all
times during the third shift.  Personally I would prefer not to have my ferret
operated on at a clinic/hospital that did not have such care.  Some places
claim they have 24 hour service but it may be just a technician who is asleep
in the building...they may be required to be up until midnight then can sleep
until 7am.  I have heard too many times that an animal survived the surgery
just fine but then died during the night...  of course problems arise which
still cannot be overcome by an awake and alert staff but it would frighten me
no end to leave my pet in the care of sleeping attendants.  Especially
something as small as a ferret on an IV drip or a heating pad.

Opposing opinions welcomed.

              Kari in Mass