From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:19:37 -0400
Until the challenge studies are done we do NOT know for sure what titer
numbers in ferrets truly mean, so until then it is guessing. Some of it
is educated guessing (and some not educated) but guessing can still
turn out wrong.

Do NOT read into it! That way lies foolish though hopeful mistakes.

Meanwhile, participate to help collect titer info:
http://www.ferret.org/news/07-april-titer_study.html
PLEASE, make sure that the info sheet goes to Dr. Ruth. Cornell tends
to not forward those to her and that data is NEEDED. Also be absolutely
sure that the info for the last vaccine given is there because without
that the numbers are worthless.

The other study is using ferrets from specific locations so not open to
public participation.

BTW, Whizbang had her birthday some time ago and is six; I had copied
that from an earlier note. She is also unwell though the cause might
finally be found. It may be a pyometra with unusual presentation. That,
too, is currently guesswork so she has more testing soon and possibly
another surgery soon. Thank goodness for wonderful vets who are helping
us while we are having trouble getting around during a human family
member illness. The people at the Bellemead Animal Hospital in NJ are
GREAT!

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/