From:
Susan Solomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:00:58 MST
Hoorah! Today is the first day since I started receiving the FML that it
has only been one-mailing long!  I refer to the 'Useage guidelines' that
came with my first e-mail from FML which states:

    "Mail sent to the FML is automatically stored in a digest and
    the accumulated postings of the day are sent out, all at once,
    in a single piece of email early each morning.  There is usually
    one digest each day, sometimes none.  In rare situations - where
    the number of postings is large or the subject matter extremely
    urgent - you might get two."

xxx I understand that this was probably written at the inception of FML but
it is now outdated.  The usual length of mailings is not one, but three!  I
am limited in my time at a termimanl to view my personal e-mail and I am
finding that I have to simply trash most of the FML.  I try to skim for
because of the length of the FML, even this is time consuming.

    I find it quite valuable to have access to vet responses and short
mailings about health related issues.  I also enjoy the short postings of
funny ferret stories.  However, I am wondering if anyone else feels that
some of the postings are excessive and is there interest in 'cleaning-up'
the FML?  Couldn't loooong posts on various subjects be summarized and full
length posts be sent privately upon request?

    My intention is not to offend anyone in making this inquiry.  I hope to
hear both the pros and the cons of the FML length and possible solutions if
there is interest keeping it brief.  Thanks!  Susan

[Moderator's note: No, the note in the usage guidelines about the length and
frequency of the FML is still 100% accurate.  Only one digest goes out - if
you are getting three it is because your mail system is splitting it up.

Some time ago there was considerable discussion about how the length of the
FML had gotten out of control and several steps were taken to try to limit
the increase.  In fact, we have 300 more subscribers now than when things
were going "out of control", yet the average length of the FML has not
changed significantly in that time!  Plus, other changes, such as making
sure every posting has a Subject:, are helping people to get through it.

That being said, yes, the FML is a lot to read through.  Some people read
every word, others only skim through it.  Do whatever your inclination and
time permits... at least it's here for those die-hards who enjoy the whole
experience :-)  BIG]