From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:02:28 +0800
Sukie wrote:
>(BTW, I was pretty horrified to learn -- from his own CV -- that a
>prominent person claiming to be a veterinary doctor and nutrition
>expert who makes income from promoting a certain raw diet actually has
>a bachelors in vet med (something many people in the U.S. don't know
>exists in some other countries), and that he has no higher degrees in
>vet med and no degrees in nutrition at all. Now, I am not saying that
>people can't learn after school and even learn a great deal because
>hopefully we all do, but also hopefully we don't then try to be
>addressed as "doctor" which is a term that means that a doctorate
>has been earned.)

Sukie, In Australia and the UK, at least, Bachelor of Veterinary
Science (BVSc) is exactly the same as DVM and those people who hold it
are certainly referred to as "Doctor". They do the same 5 or 6 years
at uni but the course simply has a different name.

I suspect you are referring to Dr Billinghurst and the "barf" diet.
Personally, I don't agree with his ideals and believe he has sold out
on his initial thoughts to earn money. His practice of recommending
ground food with with vegetables to obligate carnivores is not logical
and does not protect them against periodontal disease. Nevertheless, if
his veterinary education was gained outside of the US, he is a doctor.

Shirley